By Karen L. Anglin
Your powerful educational for learning Math note difficulties
Why CliffsQuickReview courses?
Go with the identify you recognize and belief Get the knowledge you need--fast! Written via lecturers and academic experts
About the contents:
Word challenge basics
- Translating phrases into mathematical symbols
- Identifying key words
- Simplifying expressions
Algebra observe difficulties
- Recognizing algebraic expressions and equations
- Solving algebraic equations
- Checking recommendations and translations
Geometry note difficulties
- Triangles, rectangles, squares, and a number of shapes
- Determining perimeter and region of shapes
- Proportion and percentage problems
- Summation problems
- Money problems
- Investment problems
- Mixture problems
- Distance problems
Review and assets
- Tear-out pocket consultant for key concepts
- Special evaluation part to enhance learning
- Resource heart with sites and concepts for additional study
- Handy bankruptcy Check-ins/Checkouts introduce new suggestions and try out your knowledge
We take nice notes--and make studying a sna
Read or Download Math word problems PDF
Similar education & reference books
An evidence of the technological know-how of numbers and house, with basic demonstrations of mathematics, algebra, trigonometry, arithmetic in tune and artwork, and together with a few tips and video games utilizing numbers.
- Pit Crew Worker
- Will Ron Fix His Rig?
- The Peaches on the Beaches: A Book About Inflectional Endings (Sounds Like Reading)
- The Frail Snail on the Trail: A Long Vowel Sounds Book With Consonant Blends (Sounds Like Reading)
- World War I
- Killing Public Higher Education. The Arms Race for Research Prestige
Extra resources for Math word problems
The simplified equation is 4x – 6. Remember: If you need to review operations with signed numbers, read CliffsQuickReview Basic Math and Pre-Algebra by Jerry Bobrow (Wiley Publishing). Example 7 uses many of the concepts covered to this point. Example 7: Translate and simplify the following: twice the sum of five and a number is added to twelve Carefully read the expression and notice: The two adjacent key words: TWICE the SUM OF The separator: IS The leading keyword: the SUM OF ______ AND ______ The turnaround word: TO Here’s how to proceed: 1.
Twice (the sum of five and a number) is added to twelve Chapter 3: Simplifying Expressions 33 3. The leading keyword SUM OF indicates a plus sign where the corresponding keyword AND is in the expression. Draw an arrow to indicate the placement of the plus sign. twice (the sum of five and a number) is added to twelve 4. The turnaround word TO indicates the twelve will be at the beginning of the expression instead of the end. Place a box around TO. twice (the sum of five and a number) is added to twelve 5.
3(x – 3) + 6 6. 2(x + 5) – 3x 7. –3(x + 4) + 5 8. –2(x – 4) + 5 9. 3x – 2(x + 6) 10. 4x – 2(x – 2) 11. –3(x – 5) + 6 12. x – 2(x + 4) 13. 4 – (x – 5) 14. 3 – (x + 4) 15. 9 – (x + y – 2) 36 CliffsQuickReview Math Word Problems Answers: 1. 5x + 4 2. 6x + 20 3. 10x + 18 4. 2x + 4 5. 3x – 3 6. –x + 10 7. –3x – 7 8. –2x + 13 9. x – 12 10. 2x + 4 11. –3x + 21 12. –x – 8 13. –x + 9 14. –x – 1 15. –x – y + 11 Chapter 4 EQUATIONS Chapter Check-In ❑ Keywords indicating equality ❑ Solving simple linear equations ❑ Checking solutions ❑ Checking translations ranslating English statements into equations is the next step in the successful solving of word problems.